Total Pageviews

Monday, December 20, 2021

Where's your inspiration?


 I couldn't help myself. 

I looked for images of a 40-ish female mechanic for my promo memes but couldn't find one online.

There was one, however, in my photo stash.

Yup, that's me in the photo above. I wasn't a mechanic, but I was 40 at the time, working in a heavy equipment repair shop. I was the parts expediter and broom pusher. Actually, I had to challenge the male mechanics for the last task. By the end of the day, I was eager to spring from that creaky chair, away from my telephone tether (phones were corded in those days).

The Mustang in my story is familiar, too. My friend owned a '64 1/2 convertible just like the one in the meme. Even in the 80s, its sleek baby-blue surface was irresistible, like a Hot Wheels that had grown up. It was perfect for my story.

The male love interest was inspired by a 'real' foxy silver-haired British car enthusiast. If you've ever watched Amazon Prime's Grand Tour or BBC's Top Gear, you know him as the man with The North Wind hairstylist. After the tickle of inspiration provided by James May, my William took literary form.

I created a vast Eden for my couple, called it Forever, Montana, then let the muse in. The story begins with his life almost ending with the fiery crash of his beloved 1964 1/2 Mustang.

Was William rescued by an Alien or an Angel?

Who is the Purebred and who is the Mutt?

And what's with the skunk on the cover?

Check out THE PUREBRED AND THE MUTT as a single on December 29. Available now as part of CUTE BUT CRAZY: QUIRKY CAREERS, the fourth book in the Chill Out! Books / Authors' Billboard Romantic Comedy series.



No comments:

Post a Comment