Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The bliss of writing

"You discover you have wings when you open a book."

 I'm not sure who penned those impressive words, but they're found on posts, blogs, and posters in libraries and bookstores worldwide.

So, as someone who writes these books, who do I feel? The same? Oh, no, even better still:


"If YOU have wings when you open a book, can you imagine how an author feels? She carefully creates people then disposes of them at a whim, sets up scenarios where her characters are challenged, letting them succeed or fail, suffer indignities or revel in uninhibited bliss. Time travel is no hindrance, age reversal a few keystrokes away. Each trial or passion to endure or suffer occurs according to HER direction

Ah, when I write, I feel as if I have wings that never tire, territories I can cover without restrictions of time, range, or fatigue. I'm immune to harsh criticism because these are MY friends and family; I have only exposed as much of them as I desire to the world. They are untouchable, unalterable, by others. I am satisfied with myself because I made the effort to bring forth my world and its people, ignoring those despicable words, 'You can't do that!'" 

Dani Haviland

below: Basye's Purple, a tough, hardy, and unusually colored rose

 

No comments:

Post a Comment